Thursday, August 14, 2008

10 Things I Love About Living Here in Manila

Almost 20 long years, I have never lived anywhere else but Cagayan de Oro. Except for my up-to-a-month long summer vacations to several provincial regions in Mindanao, this has been my first time to have lived in a place far from home.

Dress-down Friday in the office

I didn't have to ask my parents to allow me to work in Manila. They knew this kind of decision would come. They knew me so well that by the time I let them read my job offer, they did not bother asking me if I'm sure about going away from home. They knew that after graduation I had plans of my own and that I will have to fulfill my plans, dreams and goals somewhere else.

It was never easy during my first month in Manila. I stayed with used-to-be-schoolmates-now-colleagues in an expensive dormitory in Ortigas (which was of course paid by Bayantrade). It was like a life and death situation in my life that if I didn't handle my time and money well, I'd have to go back home, hear the awful words "I told you so" and become a loser.

Now, I'm very proud that I've been able to adjust to the lifestyle and pace of living in the country's capital. I know that I will become better here - that I can go back home with pride.

Here is a countdown of the things, people, places, etc. which give me a reason to love staying in Manila.

10
Booze and grilled food on Friday and Saturday evenings with colleagues from the South - my Manila family.
at Trellis in Market! Market!
9
Working with people from UP, Ateneo and La Salle.
8
Seeing a lot of celebs - actors and models I only used to see in the magazines.
7
Going to unfamiliar shops and dining places.
at Nike Park in High Street
6
Internet access. If ever it gets boring at home, all I have to do is take a jeepney-ride to the office to surf the net and watch movies and series from surfthechannel.com.
5
Cooking, eating and sleeping. These are the most stress-relieving hobbies I do at home. I can do trial cooking (pasta, vegetables and grilled food), eating either at Manang's carinderia in the neighborhood or at the nearest mall, and also food deliveries!
at Tamayo's
4
Being able to buy almost anything I want. Shopping spree on weekends or just to window shop won't hurt. It also feels good being able to dress up at work. ^_^
3
Nice job in BayanTrade. Big opportunity for career development. Great work environment. Count in Bonifacio High Street and Serendra.

A Saturday with Sigi in High Street

2
Being able to go places - been to Bohol, Tagaytay and Laguna in just two months.
chillin' in Laguna and Tagaytay
1
Independence. Being able to live alone, discover more about myself and the world!

the Panglao, Bohol dreamers..

No comments: