Friday, September 09, 2011

Life After the Movies

The Harry Potter series is probably the most successful movie franchise of all time. The eight movies made a whole lot of fortune to Daniel Radcliffe, Emma Watson and Rupert Grint - making them on the top of the list of richest young actors. The author, JK Rowling, made herself richer than her queen.

For a decade, my sister and I get frantic everytime a book and movie get released. We would take turns answering trivia all about The Boy Who Lived before going to sleep. We considered the seven books our most prized possession. More than anything else, we practically grew up with Harry, Hermione and Ron.

So when the last of the movie series was shown to theaters in July,

I couldn't help get sad. I felt, just like many others, that my childhood finally came to an end. It was time to grow up, think of a career and having a family - just like Harry and Ginny did after Hogwarts.

July 31st. It was Ms. Rowling and Harry's birthday. News broke in the muggle world about a contest for the long-rumored Pottermore.



Pottermore is an interactive website by JK Rowling on anything about the Harry Potter books. Members are given an "online reading experience" where we can also duel with other members, brew potions, cast spells with wands,earn galleons and score house points. Yes, I am one

of the first few to sign up and has access to the website. I have been sorted to Gryffindor House and (as of writing) has contributed 29 points to my house. However, when I took the sorting quiz I kind of wished and tried my best to be in Ravenclaw. I guess I'm not that clever enough to get accepted. :P

For us, HP fans around the world, this Pottermore has provided us a "life ext
ension". Without this, we can just watch again and again the movies, and read the books to the point of being able to memorize cover to cover. In my own opinion, JK Rowling has sort of formed a cult through this. Not in a negative way though. This has given us something magical to believe in. It has united children and young adults all over the world a community to share the fight against He-Who-Must-Named and the fondness for the boy wonder.



See? I am in the same list with Harry, Ron and Hermione.

No comments: